Appreciation to our supporters:
ACCURAY
LUGPA

About Us

AFROC is a national membership organization founded in 1987 to promote the interests of freestanding radiation oncology centers. It is comprised of a network of physicians, physicists, administrators, and allied health care professionals who are dedicated to the provision of high quality cancer care in settings that are not owned or operated by hospitals, promoting cost-effective treatment in the context of the highest standard of care.

AFROC is the premier forum addressing private-practice issues unique to freestanding centers, and focuses its efforts on regulatory, legislative, and socioeconomic issues that affect non-hospital cancer centers. In particular, since its inception, AFROC has been singularly successful in representing freestanding radiation oncology centers before the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) with respect to Medicare payment issues affecting freestanding cancer centers:

AFROC (Association of Freestanding Radiation Oncology Centers)
  • It was AFROC that conducted the first cost survey of freestanding radiation oncology centers accepted by Medicare for use in establishing payment rates for technical component services.
  • It was AFROC that spearheaded efforts to obtain an exception to physician self-referral requirements for radiation oncology services ordered by radiation oncologists.
  • It was AFROC that conducted the cost survey of freestanding centers that was accepted by Medicare when technical component payment became “resource based.”
  • It was AFROC that convinced Medicare not to use cost data from hospital-based radiation oncologists in establishing technical component rates in 2010.
  • It was AFROC that submitted most of the IMRT cost data upon which IMRT technical component allowances were initially based.
  • It was AFROC that spearheaded the effort to convince Medicare to refrain from adopting new CPT codes in 2016, an initiative that prevented IMRT payment reductions from doubling that year.
  • It was AFROC that helped obtain a court decision finding that the supervising physician for treatment in freestanding centers need not be a radiation oncologist.

Now, our members are facing new challenges, arising from new alternative payment models, episode-based payment, and hospital acquisitions. We urge you to become a member of AFROC—to help us help you face the challenges coming down the pike as the result of our transitioning healthcare system.

URGENT CALL FOR INPUT

Last week, CMS released a Proposed Rule describing a proposed radiation oncology “demonstration project" under which Medicare payment for radiation oncology technical and professional component services would be made on the basis of 90 day episodes of care for 17 types of breast cancer, including but not limited to, breast, prostate, lung, and head and neck. Under the proposal, 40% of all radiation oncology episodes of care in selected geographic areas in the country would be paid under the new system, while the remaining 60% will continue with usual fee Medicare for service. The demonstration project would begin next year and run for five years. Participation in selected geographic areas would be mandatory for both freestanding and hospital-based centers and for radiation oncologists in those areas.
AFROC has a number of serious concerns about the Proposed Demonstration, and we are seeking your input. We urge all members to review the attached summary and to consider the potential impact of the Proposed Demonstration on your center. We especially urge you to review the national average episode rates against your own practice’s patterns of care. (In conducting your assessment, consider that these national episode rates will be further discounted by 4-5% and adjusted for individual center.). We look forward to hearing from you, and urge you to renew your AFROC membership (due as of June 30) to enable us to continue to participate in this effort.

Board of Directors

Michael J. Katin, MD, FACP, FACR, FACRO
President of the Board

Florida

Robert D. Hesselgesser, MD
Secretary/Treasurer

California

Matthew W. Allen, MD
Director

California

Dwight L. Fitch, MD
Director

Florida

Linda A Filipczak, RN, BSN, MBA
Director

Michigan

Jeffrey D. Forman, MD, FACR
Director

Michigan

Laeton J. Pang, MD, FACR, FACRO
Director

 Hawaii

David J. Rice, MD
Director

 Florida

Randy D. Sorum, MD
Director

Washington

Daniel A. Wattson, MD
Director

 Minnesota

Julie J. Zemanek
Director

Washington

Shawn H. Zimberg, MD
Director

New York

Peter H. Blitzer, MD, FACR
Emeritus

Uma B. Mishra, MD
Emeritus

Dhirenda J. Patel, MD
Emeritus

Wayne T. Spears, MD
Emeritus